We’re honoring and celebrating Indigenous Peoples’ Day by supporting Janee’ Kassanavoid, Indigenous woman and elite athlete. Janee' is the 2023 World Silver Medalist and USA Bronze Medalist, 2022 World Bronze Medalist, and the First Native American Woman to Medal at the Track & Field Championships.
Janee’ is sharing her athletic career, her story, and her heritage with us, not only via her Q&A blog post, but with a couple amazing recipes, including this Native American inspired mocktail!
Honey. Strawberries. Basil. Citrus. YUM.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 strawberries, sliced or roughly chopped
- 2-3 leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 ounce honey simple syrup
- 1/2 stick pack of ‘citrus’ electrolyte mix
- MIXED WITH
- 2-3 ounces plain sparkling water
- Make the honey simple syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the honey and the water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and stir until honey has dissolved. Cool completely.
- To make the mocktail, add the sliced strawberries and torn basil leaves to a glass. Using a muddler or the end of a wooden spoon, muddle the strawberries and basil together until juicy and fragrant. Add crushed ice to the glass. Add simple syrup. Top with the sparkling water + 1/2 electrolyte mix, and stir to combine. Garnish with a slice of lime or strawberry, and a basil leaf, if desired.