We're on lockdown, but we can still get our protein in! If you've got a container of Nocturnal Casein sitting around, this chocolate pudding is the ideal way to finish the day. Casein is a slow-digesting protein that has a slightly different amino acid profile than our grass fed whey isolate. Mix up some eggs, milk, and some Nocturnal for a half scoop of Nocturnal in each serving!
Nocturnal Chocolate Custard
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon corn starch
2 whole large eggs
Pinch sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (3 scoops) Nocturnal Chocolate Whey
- Combine milk and corn starch in a pot, and bring to a boil while whisking.
- Meanwhile break eggs into a separate bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Remove hot milk pot from stove, and gradually add to the eggs in a slow stream, while whisking (this is called tempering the eggs - so they don’t cook and scramble!).
- Return egg/milk mixture to the stove, and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes while whisking continuously.
- Add the vanilla and salt.
- Turn off the stove, cover the pot and WALK AWAY to let it cool. This step is very important. The mixture has to cool to be able to touch it comfortably in order to add the whey protein powder, or the whey may cook and become chunky. We want silky smooth, not curdled and weird.
- When fully cool to the touch (~110 degrees F), add the whey protein powder and whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour the custard into 6 jelly jars, or other containers, and refrigerate.
Notes about this recipe:
This makes 6 portion sizes, just about perfect for a whole week’s worth. Each serving contains ½ scoop of Nocturnal whey protein powder, or 12 grams of protein.
Thick, creamy, delicious, and all natural. Sweet dreams, and sweeter gains!